April 18, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team finished their regular season schedule on a positive note on Senior Day, defeating UC Riverside by a score of 6-1. The Gauchos will either be the No. 2 or 3 seed going into the Big West tournament at the end of the month.
In doubles action, the Gauchos claimed the point by winning the Nos. 1 and 3 matches. Seniors Tova Hausman and Bryanna Ojeda shut out Roxanne Plata and Angelique Corpuz at the top spot (8-0). Jill Damion and Asagi Onaga also picked up the victory at the No. 3 doubles position, taking down Taylor Raney and Natalie Mckay (8-3). At the No. 2 spot, Jordan Dockendorf and Natalia Lozano fell to Nadia Sakhakorn and Donna McCullough (8-5).
After earning the doubles point, the Gauchos then took five of six singles matches to claim the victory. The only loss for UCSB came at the No. 1 position, where Sofia Novak was defeated by Sakhakorn (7-5, 6-4). Lozano dominated her No. 2 matchup with McCullough, winning in straight sets (6-4, 6-1). At the No. 3 slot, Hausman knocked off Raney by a count of (6-4, 6-4). Damion was too much for McKay at the No. 4 position, as she won by the same score (6-4, 6-4). Ojeda overpowered Corpuz at the No. 5 spot to remain undefeated in her senior season, pushing her dual match record to 13-0. Onaga, also a senior, won her match at the No. 6 position, beating Plata (6-2, 6-3).
The next match for the Gauchos will be at the Big West tournament on April 30th, at Indian Wells. The time of the match, as well as the opponent, are still to be determined, and will be announced in the coming days.
1. Nadia Sakhakorn (UCR) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 7-5, 6-4
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Donna McCullough (UCR) 6-4,6-1
3. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Taylor Raney (UCR) 6-4,6-4
4. Jill Damion (UCSB) def. Natalie McKay (UCR) 6-4,6-4
5. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Angela Corpuz (UCR) 6-2,7-5
6. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) def. Roxanne Plata (UCR) 6-2,6-3
1. Ojeda/Hausman (UCSB) def. Plata/Corpuz (UCR ) 8-0
2. Sakhakorn/McCullough (UCR) def. Lozano/Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) 8-5
3. Damion/Onaga (UCSB) def. Raney/McKay (UCR) 8-3