SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team continued its winning streak as it won against University of Denver by a score of 5-2.
"Happy with our performance today," said the head coach Simon Thibodeau. "It's a good win versus a tough team."
The doubles tandem Natalie Da Silveira and Jaimee Gilbertson defeated Garcia Mboko and Morgan Barnhill 6-1 at No.2. Palina Dubavets and Melissa Baker took the next win by defeating Julia O'Loughin and Maureen Slattery 6-2 at No.1. No.3 Stefani Stojic and Amanda Atanasson did not have a chance to finish their match.
The Gauchos carried their momentum in singles as No.6 Amit Lev-Ari defeated Arisha Ladhani 6-2, 6-4 and No.5 Atanasson defeated Sonja Radsevic 6-3, 6-3. Next, Gilbertson won against Bianca Mok 7-6, 6-3 at No.3. At No.4 Stojic defeated Mboko by a score of 4-6, 7-6 (10-8). The Pioneers attempted to fight back as they won the final two matches. At No.2, Slattery defeated Da Silveira 6-4, 7-6 (4). At No.1, O'Loughin had a neck and neck match against Dubavets and won by a score of 6-4, 2-6, 7-5.
"It wasn't perfect but enough to get a chance on each court," Thibodeau said. "When we do that, we are hard to beat."
Gauchos will be on the road to play against Pepperdine on March 12 at 12:00 p.m.
UC Santa Barbara 5, Denver 2
Santa Barbara, California
March 10 2017
Doubles (Order to finish: 2, 1)
Singles (Order to finish: 6, 5, 3, 4, 2, 1)
1. Julia O'Loughin (D) def. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
2. Maureen Slattery (D) def. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
3. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Bianca Mok (D) 7-6, 6-3
4. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Garcia Mboko (D) 4-6, 7-6 (10-8)
5. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) def. Sonja Radsevic (D) 6-3, 6-3
6. Amit Lev-Ari (UCSB) def. Arisha Ladhani (D) 6-2, 6-4