No. 5 Seed UCSB Falls to No. 1 Seed Long Beach State, 4-0
April 26, 2008
Indian Wells, Calif. -
The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team season came to an end this afternoon at the Big West Tennis Championships, with a 4-0 defeat to top-seeded and nationally ranked Long Beach State. The Gauchos finish the season with a 10-14 record overall. This is the eighth straight year Long Beach State has reached the finals of the Big West Women's Tennis Championship.
The 49ers Stephanie Jeanes and Jessica Weeks made quick work out of the Gaucho tandem of Jill Damion and Asagi Onaga, winning 8-1. Long Beach State captured the doubles and the early 1-0 lead at No. 3 doubles, when Deborah Armstrong and Lisa Sutton took down Tova Hausman and Brittany Kausen 8-4.
In singles, Jessica Weeks put the 49ers up 2-0 in the match with her 6-2, 6-0 triumph over Charlotte Scatliffe at No. 2. Hannah Grady notched a win at No. 1, as she defeated the Gauchos' Marta Simic by a 6-4, 6-2 count. The match-clinching point came at No. 6 where Sutton notched a 7-5, 6-4 victory against Kausen.
Complete results listed below.
Long Beach State 4, UC Santa Barbara 0
1. Grady/Bengson (LBSU) vs. Simic/Scatliffe (UCSB) DNF
2. Jeanes/Weeks (LBSU) def. Damion/Onaga (UCSB) 8-1
3. Armstrong/Sutton (LBSU) def. Hausman/Kausen (UCSB) 8-4
1. Hannah Grady (LBSU) def. Marta Simic (UCSB) 6-4, 6-2
2. Stephanie Bengson (LBSU) vs. Jill Damion (UCSB) DNF
3. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) vs. Tova Hausman (UCSB) DNF
4. Stephanie Jeanes (LBSU) vs. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) DNF
5. Jessica Weeks (LBSU) def. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
6. Lisa Sutton (LBSU) def. Brittany Kausen (UCSB) 7-5, 6-4