April 17, 2009
Indian Wells, Calif. - In a marathon match that lasted over four hours long, the No. 6 seed UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team eked out a 4-3 victory against No. 3 Cal Poly in the quarterfinals of the Big West Championships Friday afternoon at Indian Wells Tennis Center.
The Gauchos captured the early doubles point with a pair of 8-6 wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. The duo of Michelle Murphy and Sofia Novak were first out of the gate, knocking off Amy Markhoff and Suzie Matzenauer on center court. The pair of Jill Damion and Natalia Lozano clinched the all-important doubles point with a win over Brittany Blalock and Steffi Wong.
Cal Poly took a 2-1 advantage in the match with strong play at the top of the lineup. Blalock and Matzenauer earned victories over Murphy and Damion, respectively, to put the Mustangs on top. 6-2, 6-1 win over Murphy and Matzenauer triumphed 6-2, 6-2 over Damion. Asagi Onaga tied the score with a 6-1, 6-2 win against Maria Malec at No. 5.
The UCSB women split matches at the No. 6 and No. 4 slot to build the tie to 3-3 and putting the Gauchos' season in the hands of Sofia Novak on court three. Novak took the lead early, but suffered a 3-6 loss on the second set to build the suspense for the third and final set. With the support of her teammates at her back, Novak took control of the third and deciding set to edge Peterson 6-3.
The Gauchos (16-5 overall) will move on to the semi-finals to face No. 2 seed UC Irvine (6-0 Big West). UCSB will take the court Saturday at 3:00 p.m. in Indian Wells.
1. Murphy/Novak (UCSB) def. Amy Markhoff/Matzenauer (CP) - 8-6
2. Damion/Lozano (UCSB) def. Blalock/Wong (CP) - 8-6
3. Filip/Malec (CP) vs. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) - DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. Brittany Blalock (CP) def. Michelle Murphy (UCSB) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Suzie Matzenauer (CP) def. Jill Damion (UCSB) - 6-2, 6-2
3. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Whitney Peterson (CP) - 7-6 (6), 3-6, 6-3
4. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Diane Filip (CP) - 7-5, 7-5
5. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) def. Maria Malec (CP) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Steffi Wong (CP) def. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) - 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5, 6, 4, 3