April 10, 2011
Stockton Calif - Erica Cano was defeated by Kateryna Nezhura 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 6 singles with the match between UCSB and Pacific tied at 3-3, giving Pacific a 4-3, come from behind win in a critical Big West Conference match Sunday.
The Gauchos (11-9, 4-3) have lost consecutive matches and seven of their last nine overall.
In doubles, UCSB overcame a loss at court No. 1 to take the point. Sofia Novak and Michelle Murphy defeated Shabby Eslami and Summer Irvin 8-3 at court No. 2. Jill Damion and Kiersten Meehan defeated Olga Gumenyuk and Susan Te at court No. 3.
The singles matches were hotly contested, with three matches requiring third sets. The Gauchos had two opportunities to clinch the victory after Kiersten Meehan defeated Susan Te 7-5, 6-0 at court No. 5 to give them a 3-2 lead. Natalia Lozano was defeated by Julia Hansen 5-7, 6-0, 7-6 (9) at court No. 2 to set up the decisive match between Cano and Nezhura at court No. 6.
The Gauchos' next match is Saturday, April 16 against Loyola Marymount at the Robertson Gymnasium Courts on campus.
Complete results listed below:
1. Jenifer Widjaja / Julia Hansen (PAC) def. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) 8-4
2. Novak/Murphy (UCSB) def. Shabby Eslami / Summer Irvin (PAC) 8-3
3. Damion/Meehen (UCSB) def. Olga Gumenyuk / Susan Te (PAC) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. Jenifer Widjaja (PAC) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
2. Julia Hansen (PAC) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 5-7, 6-0, 7-6 (9)
3. Jill Damion (UCSB) def. Olga Gumenyuk (PAC) 7-5, 0-6, 7-5
4. Shabby Eslami (PAC) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kiersten Meehen (UCSB) def. Susan Te (PAC) 7-5, 6-0
6. Kateryna Nezhura (PAC) def. Erica Cano (UCSB) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6**
Final Score: Pacific 4, UCSB 3
*Denotes doubles wining point
**Denotes match securing win