Gauchos Sweep Fullerton 7-0
April 10, 2010
Fullerton, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team looked strong in a bounce-back victory on Saturday, sweeping Cal State Fullerton 7-0. The Gauchos (10-10, 5-2) won five of the six singles matches in straight sets, and gave up just four total points in doubles play against the Titans (1-14, 0-7).
Sofia Novak won her No. 1 singles match against Tiffany Mai (6-3, 6-7 (11-9)). Every other singles match ended up in a straight set victory in favor of UCSB. At the No. 2 position, Natalia Lozano easily put away Monica Rodriguez by a count of (6-1, 6-1). Jill Damion was impressive in her No. 3 matchup with Erin Wiesener, as she recorded a straight set victory (6-1, 6-3). Bryanna Ojeda, playing from the No. 4 spot, shut down Malorie dela Cruz (6-2, 6-0). At the No. 5 position, Jordan Dockendorf was too much for Jerusha Cruz, as she won by a score of (6-1, 6-0). Asagi Onaga rounded out the action with her victory over Karina Akhmedova, as she did not surrender a game in her first singles action since mid-February.
The Gauchos were equally impressive in doubles play, giving up a total of four points in the three matches. UCSB's No. 1 team of Ojeda and Tova Hausman continued to thrive atop the lineup, taking care of Mai and Rodriguez (8-0). Dockendorf and Lozano also put up a strong showing as they dominated their No. 2 match against Cruz and Wiesener (8-2). At the No. 3 spot, Damion and Onaga competed together for the first time and handled the team of Akhmedova and dela Cruz (8-2).
UCSB will conclude its regular season schedule with a pair of home matches. The Gauchos will return to action on Friday, April 16th at 1:30 p.m. when they host Portland. They will then finish off their Big West schedule against UC Riverside on Senior Day, Sunday, April 15th at 11:00 a.m.
1. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Tiffany Mai (CSF) 6-3, 6-7 (11-9)
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jill Damion (UCSB) def. Erin Wiesener (CSF) 6-1, 6-3
4. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF) 6-2, 6-0
5. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF) 6-1, 6-0
6. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) 6-0, 6-0
1. Hausman/Ojeda (UCSB) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) 8-0
2. Dockendorf/Lozano (UCSB) def. Cruz/Wiesener (CSF) 8-2
3. Damion/Onaga (UCSB) def. Akhmedova/dela Cruz (CSF) 8-2