March 12, 2010
Irvine, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team pulled out an important Big West victory on Friday afternoon, knocking off No. 62 UC Irvine. After a big home victory on Wednesday over Hawai'i, the Gauchos took their momentum with them on the road and soundly beat the Anteaters by a score of 5-2. The win improves the Gauchos' Big West record to 3-1, and pushes their overall mark to 7-8.
After losing two of three doubles matches, the Gauchos came storming back in singles play and dominated the rest of the match.
Sofia Novak and Natalia Lozano again got the job done at the top of the order. Novak won her No. 1 singles match over Irvine's Courtney Byron by a score of (6-4, 6-3). At the No. 2 position, Lozano was pushed to the limit, but managed to squeak out a three-set victory over Becka Kwan (6-3, 3-6, 10-8).
The only win for the Anteaters came at the No. 3 position, where Kristina Smith took down UC Santa Barbara's Jordan Dockendorf (6-3, 6-2).
Continuing to show their strength at the bottom of the lineup, the Nos. 4, 5, and 6 spots again stepped up for the Gauchos. At the No. 4 slot, Annabel Gledden defeated Hayley Young (6-0, 6-2). Tova Hausman put together another solid performance, and beat Hannah Holladay in straight sets (6-3, 6-1). Improving her perfect dual match record, senior Bryanna Ojeda moved to 9-0 on the season as she shut down Miranda Young (6-2, 6-0). The bottom three spots in the lineup are still yet to surrender a point in Big West play.
The next match for the Gauchos will be Monday, March 22nd at home, when they hook up with Dartmouth at 11:00 a.m.
1. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Courtney Byron (UCI) 6-4, 6-3
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Becka Kwan (UCI) 6-3, 3-6, 10-8
3. Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
4. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) def. Hayley Young (UCI) 6-0, 6-2
5. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Hannah Holladay (UCI) 6-3, 6-1
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Miranda Young (UCI) 6-2, 6-0
1. Kwan/Holladay (UCI) def. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) 8-5
2. Byron/Smith (UCI) def. Jill Damion/Hausman (UCSB) 8-5
3. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) def. Young/Young (UCI) 9-7