March 6, 2011
Santa Barbara Calif - UC Santa Barbara women's tennis improved to 2-1 in Big West Conference play after trouncing the UC Riverside Highlanders 7-0, Sunday at the SRC Tennis Center in Riverside.
The Gauchos have now won consecutive matches since their loss to Cal Poly on Thursday including a win over Long Beach State ending the 49ers 31-match Big West Conference winning streak.
In Doubles, the Gauchos won all three matches. Natalia Lozano and Jordan Dockendorf defeated Jamie and Taylor Raney 8-5 at court No. 1. Jill Damion and Kiersten Meehan posted a dominant 8-1 victory over Nadia Sakhakorn and Natalie McKay at court No. 2
Santa Barbara won five of the six singles matches in straight sets. Lozano made quick work of Taylor Raney at court No.1 winning 6-3, 6-0. Damion needed a tiebreaker to defeat Sakhakorn at court No. 2, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4).
The Gauchos next match is Saturday, March 12 at Cal State Northridge beginning at noon.
Complete results listed below:
1. Lozano/Dockendorf vs. Raney/Raney (UCSB) 8-5
2. Damion/Meehan vs. Sakhakorn/McKay (UCSB) 8-1
3. Novak/Cos vs. Corpuz/Bergeson (UCSB) 8-3
1. Natalia Lozano vs. Taylor Raney (UCSB) 6-3, 6-0
2. Jill Damion vs. Nadia Sakhakorn (UCSB) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Sofia Novak vs. Jamie Raney (UCSB) 7-5, 6-1
4.Jordan Dockendorf vs. Natalie McKay (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
5. Paola Cos vs. Angelique Corpuz (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
6.Kiersten Meehan vs. Kate Bergeson (UCSB) 6-3, 6-0