UC Irvine Overpowers UCSB, 6-1
Feb. 22, 2009
UC Santa Barbara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team was overmatched against No. 60 UC Irvine, losing the doubles point and dropping the match 6-1 on Sunday afternoon at the Rob Gym tennis courts.
"Irvine was just the better team," coach Pete Kirkwood said. "They kept the ball in the court and didn't make any unforced errors like we did."
UC Irvine started strong, sweeping the doubles point and getting out to an early lead.
"We played them tough at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions, but the doubles point just got away from us," coach Kirkwood continued.
In singles, the Anteaters kept rolling, grabbing two quick victories. On court one, Stephanie Hammel made quick work of Michelle Murphy, downing the Gaucho 6-2, 6-0. UC Irvine's Courtacy Byron also added to the Anteater lead, topping Sofia Novak in two sets, 6-1, 6-2. UC Irvine clinched the win at the No. 2 slot where Brok Bartlett knocked off Jill Damion, 6-1, 6-4.
Bryanna Ojeda was the only Gaucho to register a win on Sunday surpassing Ali Burowicz in the third set tie-breaker to post a 2-6, 6-1, 1-0(8) come-from-behind victory.
1. Hammel/Kaoloi def. Murphy/Lozano (UCSB), 8-5
2. Fermin/Dwan def. Damion/Novak (UCSB), 8-1
3. Byron/M. Young def. Ojeda/Chaichanachaicharn (UCSB), 8-6
1. Stephanie Hammel def. Michelle Murphy (UCSB), 6-2, 6-0
2. Brooke Bartlett def. Jill Damion (UCSB), 6-1, 6-4
3. Courtacy Byron def. Sofia Novak (UCSB), 6-1, 6-2
4. Clare Fermin def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB), 1-6, 6-3, 1-0(7)
5. Rebecca Kwan def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Ali Burowicz, 2-6, 6-1, 1-0(8)