Feb. 19, 2010
Denver, Colo. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team struggled against 74th ranked Denver on Friday, as they lost the match 4-1. The lone Gaucho point came in doubles play, as Denver won the four singles matches that were played without giving up a set.
UC Santa Barbara (2-6) and Denver (3-6) split the Nos. 1 and 2 doubles matches, before Tova Hausman and Sofia Novak won the No. 3 matchup by default. Natalia Lozano and Jordan Dockendorf won their match against Julia Bauregger and Sophia Bergner (8-5), while Asagi Onaga and Bryanna Ojeda fell to Denver's Lorinda Boothman and Ute Schnoy (8-3).
The doubles point the Gauchos earned would prove to be their only point of the match.
Novak came up short in No. 1 singles against Schnoy (6-2, 6-1), while Lozano was defeated by Denver's Bauregger (6-4, 6-4) from the No. 2 spot. Bergner then took down Annabel Gledden (6-2, 7-5), who failed to win her first match playing at the No. 3 position, after her solid play in the No. 4 slot to start the season. Onagi, who switched positions in the lineup with Gledden, could not pick up a victory against Emma Isberg, falling by a score of (6-3, 6-3).
The Nos. 5 and 6 positions did not finish their matches.
The Gauchos will look to bounce back tomorrow morning, when they face Wyoming at 10:00 a.m. PT.
1. Ute Schnoy (DU) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
2. Julia Bauregger (DU) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
3. Sophia Bergner (DU)def. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) 6-2, 7-5
4. Emma Isberg (DU) def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lorinda Boothman (DU) vs. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) DNF
6. Mikele Smith (DU) vs. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) DNF
1. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Bauregger/Bergner (DU) 8-5
2. Boothman/Schnoy (DU) def. Onaga/Ojeda (UCSB) 8-3
3. Hausman/Novak (UCSB) def. Isberg/Smith (DU) Default