Feb. 15, 2009
UC Santa Barbara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team opened their six game home stand rocking LMU, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon at the Rob Gym Tennis Courts.
The Gauchos emerged victorious in the doubles play, snagging wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots. On court two, the duo of Natalia Lozano and Bryanna Ojeda downed Shauna Morgan and Tina Razloznik, 8-5, while the pair of Asagi Onaga and Sofia Novak captured a decisive 8-2 victory over Eli Pironkova and Estelle Laporte on court three.
In singles competition, the LMU women tied the match at one apiece after Onaga dropped her match against Pironkova, 6-3, 7-5. However, the Gauchos came storming back, notching victories at the No. 3 and No. 6 slots. On court one, Michelle Murphy clinched the match after squeaking past Razloznik in both sets, 7-6, 7-6.
Lozano and Jill Damion also came away with victories at the No. 5 and No. 2 positions, respectively.
The UCSB women improve to 3-1 on the season and will continue play tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. against Cal Poly. The match will take place at the Rob Gym Tennis Courts.
1. Pringle/Nixon (LMU) def. Murphy/Damion, 9-7
2. Lozano/Ojeda def. Morgan/Razloznik (LMU), 8-5
3. Onaga/Novak def. Pironkova/Paporte (LMU), 8-2
1. Michelle Murphy def. Tina Razloznik (LMU), 7-6, 7-6
2. Jane Pringle (LMU) def. Jill Damion, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
3. Sofia Novak def. Shauna Morgan (LMU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Eli Pironkova (LMU) def. Asagi Onaga, 6-3, 7-5
5. Natalia Lozano def. Estelle Laporte (LMU), 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
6. Ratchaya Chaichanachaicharn def. Bliss Nixon (LMU), 6-4, 6-1