Feb. 8, 2009
Stockton, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team droped their first match of the season against the University of Pacific 5-2 at the Hal Nelson Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon.
The Tigers started off strong by sweeping the doubles point and gaining an early edge over the Gauchos. Pacific's Jenifer Widjaja and Olga Gumenyuk pounded Michelle Murphy and Jill Damion at the No. 1 slot, 8-1.
In singles competition, the visiting Gauchos were knocking on the door for their third straight win, but the Tigers' top three were too impressive. Widjaja and Svenja Arens both pulled out easy wins for Pacific against Murphy and Asagi Onaga, respectively, while it took three sets for Jolanta Twarowska to steal one from Jill Damion..
Sofia Novak contributed a win for UCSB, topping Kateryna Nezhura, 6-1, 6-4 on court four. The Gauchos closed the lead to 3-2 after Natalia Lozano defeated Clara Schumacher, 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 5 slot, but the pulled away winning the next two.
The loss drops UCSB to 2-1 (1-1 in Big West) on the season while Pacific improves to 3-3.
The Gauchos will start up play next week where they can look forward to a six game home stand.
Doubles: (Pacific wins doubles point, 3-0)
1. Jenifer Widjaja / Olga Gumenyuk (PAC) def. Michelle Murphy / Jill Damion (UCSB), 8-1
2. Jolanta Twarowska / Sasha Fisher (PAC) def. Natalia Lozano / Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB), 8-3
3. Svenja Arens / Kateryna Nezhura (PAC) def. Sofia Novak / Asagi Onaga (UCSB), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Jenifer Widjaja (PAC) def. Michelle Murphy (UCSB), 6-0, 6-2
2. Jolanta Twarowska (PAC) def. Jill Damion (UCSB), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Svenja Arens (PAC) def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB), 6-2, 6-0
4. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Kateryna Nezhura (PAC), 6-1, 6-2
5. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Clara Schumacher (PAC), 6-2, 6-4
6. Olga Gumenyuk (PAC) def. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB), 6-3, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (4)
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 6