Feb. 7, 2009
Irvine, CALIF. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team swept the doubles point and picked up four more wins in singles play to beat Big West rival UC Davis 5-2 on Saturday afternoon.
In doubles, the pair of Michelle Murphy and Jill Damion topped Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone, 8-2, to gain an edge over the Aggies. Not too long after, Sofia Novak and Asagi Onaga captured a win over Sidney Brady and Jenna Kappel, 8-3, to seal the doubles point.
UC Davis evened the score 1-1 after Aggies' Dahra Zamudio defeated Damion, 6-2, 7-6 (10-4) at No. 2 singles. However, UCSB came storming back, notching the next four singles victories. Murphy and Onagi were among them as they outplayed Stone and Henzyl Legaspi at the No. 1 and No. 3 slots respectively.
With the win, the Gauchos improve to 2-0 on the season. UCSB will continue Big West play Sunday at 11:00 a.m. when they play Pacific at the Hal Nelson Tennis Courts.
1. Michelle Murphy (UCSB) d. Desiree Stone (UCD), 6-0, 7-6 (4).
2. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) d. Jill Damion (UCSB), 6-2, 7-6 (4).
3. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-0, 6-4.
4. Sofia Novak (UCSB) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 6-3, 6-4.
5. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) d. Jessica Harris (UCD), 7-6 (4), 6-1.
6. Emma Shapiro (UCD) d. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB), 6-2, 7-6 (4).
1. Damion/Murphy (UCSB) d. Randi Schuler /Stone (UCD), 8-2.
2. Lozano/Ojeda (UCSB) d. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD), 8-7 (6).
3. Novak/Onaga (UCSB) d. Sidney Brady /Kappel (UCD), 8-3.