Feb. 5, 2011
Santa Barbara Calif - UC Santa Barbara women's tennis posted a perfect 14-0 match record in sweeping both Cal State Stanislaus and Cal State Bakersfield Saturday, extending their overall win streak to three matches.
The Gauchos have been nearly flawless of late winning 19 straight individual matches since their season opening loss to Santa Clara.
Freshman Paola Cos was in midseason form for her intercollegiate debut outlasting Erin Mcgurty of CS Stanislaus 6-2, 4-6, (10-7). Natalia Lozano was pressed to three sets at No. 1 singles but prevailed 12-10 in the third set super tiebreaker against Verena Preikschas.
In doubles, Natalia Lozano and Jordan Dockendorf were particularly impressive in their 8-4 win over Preikschas and Katie Eng at No. 1. Cos teamed with Kiersten Meehan at No. 2 and won 8-3 over Vanessa Reibstein and Erin Mcgurty. Erica Cano and Casey Reede completed the sweep at No. 3 defeating Lexy Harrington and McKenzy Harden 8-3.
In the second match of the day the Gauchos overwhelmed CS Bakersfield winning every match in straight sets and giving up no more than three games in any set.
"The second match was a test of mental and physical toughness and we passed with flying colors," said head coach Peter Kirkwood.
Up next for the Gauchos is a home match against Wyoming Friday, Feb. 11 beginning at 1:30 p.m. at the Robertson Gymnasium Courts.
Complete results listed below:
UC Santa Barbara vs. Cal State Stanislaus
1. Lozano/Dockendort (UCSB) def. Preikschas/Eng (CSUS), 8-4
2. Meehan/Cos (UCSB) def. Reibstein/McGurty (CSUS), 8-3
3. Cano/Reede (UCSB) def. Harrington/Harden (CSUS), 8-3
1. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Verena Preikschas (CSUS), 4-6, 6-4, 12-10
2. Jill Damion (UCSB) def. Katie Eng (CSUS), 6-2, 6-2
3. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Vanesa Reibstein (CSUS), 6-1, 6-3
4. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Lexy Harrington (CSUS), 6-0, 6-1
5. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Erin McGurty (CSUS), 6-2, 4-6, 9-7
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. McKenzy Harden (CSUS), 6-2, 6-1
FINAL SCORE 7-0
UC Santa Barbara vs. Cal State Bakersfield
1.Lozano/Dockendorf vs. Thornecroft/Dimas winner UCSB 8-4
2.Cos/Damion vs. Mannix/Limpias winner UCSB 8-1
3.Reede/Novak vs. Horton/Barefield winner UCSB 8-0
1.Natalia Lozano vs. V. Dimas winner UCSB 6-1, 6-1
2.Sofia Novak vs. J. Mannix winner UCSB 6-2, 6-3
3.Jordan Dockendorf vs. A. Thorneycroft winner UCSB 6-3, 6-1
4.Paola Cos vs. E Limpias winner UCSB 6-0, 6-2
5.Kiersten Meehan vs. G. Horton winner UCSB 6-0, 6-2
6.Erica Cano vs. K. Barefield winner UCSB 6-2, 6-0