Strong doubles showing not enough as Gauchos fall
Jan. 24, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - Despite showing a strong improvement in doubles action, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team could not capture their first dual match win. The Gauchos played their third road match in as many days, as they were defeated by Northern Arizona, 4-3.
After losing all three doubles matches on Saturday, the Gauchos bounced back to take two of three against the Lumberjacks on Sunday. In No. 2 doubles, Bryanna Ojeda and Asagi Onaga defeated Northern Arizona's Yumi Hasegawa and Nicole Perez (8-4). The Gaucho team of Tova Hausman and Sofia Novak took care of Aimee Oki and Edit Suhajda in No. 3 doubles (8-4). The only doubles loss came at the No. 1 position, as Jordan Dockendorf and Natalia Lozano were edged by the 35th ranked team of Orsi Golovics and Malia Wahinepio (9-8).
In singles play, the Gauchos picked up two victories, as the Nos. 4 and 5 spots both came out on top. Playing from the No. 4 position, Annabel Gledden claimed her second win of the weekend, taking down Wahinepio in straight sets (7-5, 4-2). Dockendorf played well from the No. 5 slot as she beat Perez (6-1, 6-3).
Facing another tough opponent at the No. 1 singles position, Novak lost a hard-fought battle, as she took Golovics to three sets (6-4, 6-7, 6-3). NAU's Oki got the best of Lozano in No. 2 singles (6-2, 6-2). After her doubles victory, Onaga could not find singles success, losing in the No. 3 slot to Suhajda (6-4, 6-1). In the No. 6 position, Erica Cano was beaten by Hasegawa (6-1, 6-1).
The Gauchos will open their home schedule on February 6th at 1:00 p.m., when they take on Fresno Pacific.
1. Golovics (NAU) def. Novak (UCSB) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
2. Oki (NAU) def. Lozano (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
3. Suhajda (NAU) def. Onaga (UCSB) 6-4, 6-1
4. Gledden (UCSB) def. Wahinepio (NAU) 7-5, 4-2
5. Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Perez (NAU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Hasegawa (NAU) def. Cano (UCSB) 6-1, 6-1
1. #35 Golovics/Wahinepio (NAU) def. Dockendorf/Lozano (UCSB) 9-8
2. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) def. Hasegawa/Perez (NAU) 8-4
3. Hausman/Novak (UCSB) def. Oki/Suhajda (NAU) 8-4