SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- The UC Santa Barbara Gauchos upset the No. 24 Fresno State Bulldogs on Monday morning by a score of 4-1.
The Gauchos went 3-0 in doubles for the second straight match on Monday. Melissa Baker and Stephanie Yamada continued their hot streak as they defeated Anneka and Sophie Watts 6-1. Lou Adler alongside her partner Amanda Atanasson beat Olivia Noble and Sofya Malysheva by a final score of 6-3, and No. 19 Dubavets and Stojic took down No. 20 Mayar and Rana Sherif Ahmed on court one by a score of 6-3 to complete the sweep.
Dubavets brought her momentum from the doubles court over to singles as she took down S. Watts 6-2, 6-1 on court two to put the Gauchos up 2-0. Natalie Da Silveira put UCSB up 3-0 soon after with her 6-2, 6-4 win over Malysheva on court six.
Fresno was able to put one point on the board as Galina Bykova defeated Atanasson 6-4, 6-4 on court four. However, Stojic was able to clinch the match for the Gauchos on court three as she defeated R. Sherif Ahmed 7-6, 6-3 to give the Gauchos the 4-1 win.
The Gauchos will play their fourth of seven straight home matches against Boise State on Thursday, March 24th at 10AM at the Rec Center Courts.
UC Santa Barbara Gauchos vs. No. 24 Fresno State Bulldogs
Santa Barbara, Calif.
Rec Center Courts
March 11, 2016
UCSB 4, Fresno St. 1
1. Lou Adler (UCSB) vs. No. 34 Mayar Sherif Ahmed (FS) unf.
2. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Sophie Watts (FS) 6-2, 6-1
3. Setfani Stojic (UCSB) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-6, 6-3
4. Galina Bykova (FS) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
5. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) vs. Anneka Watts (FS) unf.
6. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Sofya Malysheva (FS) 6-2, 6-4
1. No. 19 Palina Dubavets/Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. No. 20 Mayar Sherif Ahmed/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 6-3
2. Melissa Baker/Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) def. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) 6-1
3. Lou Adler/Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) def. Olivia Noble/Sofya Malysheva (FS) 6-3
Fresno State (9-6); National Ranking 24