SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- The No. 59 Gauchos (0-3) dropped their second match of the weekend Sunday as the lost to the No. 38 Oklahoma Sooners (2-1) by a final score of 4-3.
This was the Gauchos' third loss against a nationally ranked team and the third time they have lost by a score of 4-3.
The Gauchos walked away with their second doubles point of the year. First off was #27 Palina Dubavets and Stefani Stojic, who defeated their opponents Emma Devine and Malene Stripp by a score of 6-3. Soon after, Lou Adler and her partner Amanda Atanasson took down Christiana Brigante and Mimi Fotopoulos by a score of 6-4, clinching the doubles point for the Gauchos.
Adler was the first to finish in singles. After winning the first game of her first set, she couldn't quite find her rhythm and was defeated by Devine 6-2, 6-1 on court three. Stojic put the Gauchos back up by one, defeating Simran Sethi 6-1, 6-1 at the two spot.
Natalie Da Silveira was able to see some action for the first time this season, and came through for the Gauchos with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Zita Engbroks on court six, putting UCSB up 3-1.
This would be the last win of the afternoon for the Gauchos.
On court one, Dubavets fell to Lily Miyazaki 6-1, 6-3 as the Sooners cut the lead to just one. Atanasson, playing on court five, was unable to keep the lead at 4-3 in the second set, and was defeated by Fotopoulos 6-2, 6-4. Suddenly, the score was tied 3-3 and all eyes were on court four.
Jaimee Gilbertson's first set was a close one that saw her opponent Brigante take a late 5-4 lead. Gilbertson dug in a fought hard to win three straight games to win the set 7-5. The next set wasn't quite as close. Despite leading 2-1 early on, Gilbertson was unable to win another game and Brigante took the second set 6-2.
The third set was a dramatic one. After falling behind early 1-5, the Sooners appeared to have the match wrapped up. Much as she did in the first set, Gilbertson gained enough momentum and won four straight games to tie the set at 5-5. Brigante was able to avoid the dramatic comeback, and took the set 7-5, clinching the win for the Sooners.
The Gauchos won't see action until Feb 13 when they take on Memphis and Washington State in a double header.
No. 59 UC Santa Barbara vs No. 38 Oklahoma
Santa Barbara, Calif.
UCSB 3, UO 4
1. Lily Miyazaki (UO) def. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) 6-1, 6-3
2. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Simran Sethi (UO) 6-1, 6-1
3. Emma Devine (UO) def. Lou Adler (UCSB) 6-1, 6-3
4. Christiana Brigante (UO) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5
5. Mimi Fotopoulos (UO) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
6. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Zita Engbroks (UO) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish (3, 2, 6, 1, 5, 4)
1. #27 Palina Dubavets/Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Emma Devine/Malene Stripp (UO) 6-3
2. Jaimee Gilbertson/Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) vs. Lily Miyazaki/Simran Sethi (UO) unf.
3. Lou Adler/Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) def. Christiana Brigante/Mimi Fotopoulos (UO) 6-4
Order of finish (1,3)
No. 59 UC Santa Barbara (0-3)
No. 38 Univeristy of Oklahoma (2-1)