SANTA BARBARA, Calif.—The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team (4-13, 2-2) hosted another home match at the Rob Gym courts as the team faced off against fellow Big West conference opponent, Hawaii (8-7, 3-1). Coming off an impressive win over nationally ranked No. 53 Kansas State, Santa Barbara looked to maintain its winning ways against the Rainbow Warriors. Despite sweeping the doubles matches, the Gauchos were unable to pull off enough singles wins as the team suffered a close 4-3 loss.
The Gauchos have struggled throughout the season in the doubles matches. Today was a complete turnaround as the team swept the competition on courts 1, 2 and 3.
Juniors, April Scatliffe and Stacy Yam paired up on court 1 and delivered a masterful 8-4 victory. Breezing through the competition on court 2 was senior Kiersten Meehan and sophomore Luisa Ortiz Candido as the duo recorded an 8-2 score. Finishing up on court 3 with an 8-3 win was sophomore Priscila Garcia and freshman, Jaimee Gilbertson.
Sweeping the doubles matches, UCSB looked in great shape heading into the singles matches of the day. However, Hawaii overcame its early struggles as the Rainbow Warriors edged the Gauchos to capture the 4-3 victory.
On court No. 1, freshman, Kaiulani Boyer fell 6-1, 6-2 to Cindy Nguyen. Junior, April Scatliffe bounced back from her previous loss with a straight set 6-2, 7-6 win on court No. 2. Seeded on court 3, Gilbertson could not extend her singles match win streak to nine matches as the Australia native fell 6-4, 6-4 today. Meehan once again went the distance today, but could not capture the win as the senior fell by the score of 6-3, 2-6, 6-3. Yam could not record a victory on court No. 5 today as the junior dropped a 6-0, 6-2 decision. Fellow junior, Paola Cos continues to shine and provide a steady presence as she recorded another victory with a 6-4, 6-0 win.
The Gauchos will be back on the courts on Wednesday, Mar. 26 at noon as the team will host the visiting Sacramento State Hornets.
Hawaii 4, UCSB 3
Mar. 24, 2014
Santa Barbara, Calif.
1. April Scatliffe/ Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Xenia Suworowa/ Paulina Petriskova (UH) 8-4
2. Kiersten Meehan/ Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) def. Cindy Nguyen/ Rebecca Faltusz (UH) 8-2
3. Priscila Garcia/ Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Martina Kostalova/ Sarah Gealer (UH) 8-3
1. Cindy Nguyen (UH) def. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
2. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Xenia Suworowa (UH) 6-2, 7-6
3. Matina Kostalova (UH) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
4. Paulina Petriskova (UH) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. Sarah Gealer (UH) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 6-0, 6-2
6. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Kelsey Daguio (UH) 6-4, 6-0
UCSB Season Record (4-13, 2-2)