LOS ANGELES, Calif.—On the road this weekend, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team looks to bounce back from two early season losses. UCSB passed its first test of the weekend; defeating Loyola Marymount in an enticing 4-3 match.
Santa Barbara got the important doubles point as the pair of April Scatliffe and Priscila Garcia along with Stacy Yam and Luisa Ortiz Candido won their matches with excellent play.
Heading into the singles matches, the Gauchos looked to carry over the momentum and grasp the team's first win of 2014. LMU proved to be an excellent test as the team bounced back with three of the players winning their singles matches. Despite the adversity, the Gauchos answered back with quality wins. Junior, April Scatliffe won a thriller on court 1 as she defeated Miya Jin by the score of 6-3, 4-6, 10-6. Freshman, Melissa Baker played in another tough three set match, with her coming out on top with a 4-6, 6-1, 10-8 victory. Bringing home the victory for the Gauchos was Luisa Ortiz-Candido as she won with a convincing 7-5, 6-2 match.
Up next for UCSB is the nationally ranked No. 61 University of San Diego. The Gauchos will face off against the tough Torreros tomorrow, Feb. 2nd at 10 a.m.
UCSB 4, LMU 3
Feb. 1, 2014
Los Angeles, Calif.
1. Miya Jin/ Jessica Perez def. Melissa Baker/ Kaiulani Boyer, 6-1
2. April Scatliffe/ Priscila Garcia def. Lauri Mueller/ Kristine Kouyoumjian, 7-6 (7-1)
3. Stacy Yam/ Luisa Ortiz Candido def. Reka Rohonyi/ Lisa Piller, 6-1
1. April Scatliffe def. Miya Jin, 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
2. Jessica Perez def. Stacy Yam, 6-3, 6-2
3. Kristine Kouyoumjian def. Paola Cos, 6-1, 6-2
4. Melissa Baker def. Lauri Mueller, 4-6, 6-1, 10-8
5. Reka Rohonyi def. Priscila Garcia, 4-6, 6-1, 13-11
6. Luisa Ortiz Candido def. Julia Norlin, 7-5, 6-2
UCSB Season Record (1-2)