Gauchos Drop Season Opener, Suffer 7-0 loss to No. 5 UCLA
LOS ANGELES, Calif.—The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team (0-1) started off the 2014 dual match season on the road at No. 5 UCLA (1-0). The opening contest of the new campaign claimed to be a tough challenge as the Gauchos lost the doubles point and eventually suffered losses in the remaining six singles matches.
UCSB fought hard in all matches, but the talent and incredible depth of the nationally ranked Bruins proved to be too much.
The doubles match on court 2 set the tone for the day as the duo of Courtney Dolhide and Chanelle Van Nguyen dealt a 6-1 loss to Santa Barbara's pair of Priscilla Garcia and Luisa Ortiz Candido. The No. 1 doubles match was identical as Catherine Harrison and Kyle McPhillips handed April Scatliffe and Kiersten Meehan a 6-1 loss. On court 3, the Gaucho pair of Paola Cos and Jaimee Gilbertson kept the match close as the score was 4-3 in favor of the Bruins. The match was declared unfinished; giving UCLA the one doubles point.
In singles play, UCSB could not tally a win as the Bruins completed the sweep. Junior April Scatliffe played at No. 1 singles while senior Kiersten Meehan was seeded in the No. 2 singles match.
UCSB will return home and host its first home match of the season this Sunday, January 26th against University of San Francisco at 11:00 a.m.
#5 UCLA 7, UCSB 0
Jan. 21, 2014
Los Angeles, Calif.
1. Catherine Harrison/Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Kiersten Meehan/April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-1
2. Courtney Dolehide/Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Priscila Garcia/Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) 6-1
3. Jennifer Brady/Morgan Thomas (UCLA) vs. Paola Cos/Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 4-3, unfinished
1. #9 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-0, 6-1
2. #24 Jennifer Brady (UCLA) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
3. #36 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 6-1, 6-0
4. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-0, 6-1
5. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 6-1, 6-1
6. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, DNF); Singles (3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6)
UCSB Season Record: 0-1