Gauchos no Match for No. 6 UCLA
Jan. 26, 2011
Los Angeles Calif - The No. 61 ranked UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team suffered a bruising 7-0 defeat against No.6 UCLA Tuesday, in Westwood.
The Gauchos have yet to score a point through two dual matches this season, having competed against two highly ranked opponents.
Benjamin Recknagle was a bright sport for the Gauchos, as he extended his match at #2 singles to a third set match tiebreaker against #86 Amit Inbar. Recknagle fell just short of pulling off the upset however, dropping the match 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4).
Philip Therp also made some noise in the #6 singles match against Holden Seguso. Therp put himself in position to serve for the second set, but could not capitalize on the opportunity and was defeated 6-0, 7-5.
"The Bruins were simply too good on the day," said head coach Marty Davis.
In search of their first win, the Gauchos will travel to Gainesville to square off against No.8 Florida in the first round the NCAA National Indoor Championships Friday. They will then play either No. 62 Troy or No. 57 NC State on Saturday depending upon Friday's results before returning to Santa Barbara for their home opener against No. 58 University of San Diego on February 5th.
Results listed below:
1. Inbar/Puget (UCLA) def. Chavez Goggin/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 8-6
2. Alex Brigham/Seguso (UCLA) def. Forget/Recknagel (UCSB) 8-4
3. Kosakowski/Thompson (UCLA) def. Evan Jurgensen/Therp (UCSB) 8-4 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Daniel Kosakowski (UCLA) def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
2. #86 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
3. #64 Max Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
4. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
5. Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Max Glenn (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
6. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-0, 7-5