No. 1 Seed USC Eliminates No. 4 Seed UCSB, 4-0, in First Round of NCAA TournamentLos Angeles, Calif.-The No. 4 seed UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team was outmatched against No. 1 seed USC Friday afternoon at the Marks Tennis Center in Los Angeles, losing 4-0 in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The loss ends the Gauchos' season at 11-14 overall and marks the second time in the last three years they have been eliminated by the Trojans in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
The Trojans started hot in doubles play, taking down the Gauchos at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots. USC's Robert Forah and Steve Johnson downed Alex Konigsfeldt and Josh Finkelstein, 8-1 while Abdullah Magdas and Daniel Nguyen held off Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen, 8-6.
With a 1-0 lead, the Trojans never looked back, notching three singles. Max Taylor was first to drop his match at the No. 4 position, falling to Matt Kecki, 6-1, 6-2. On court three, USC's Magdas came away with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Scott Hohenstein to give the Trojans a 3-0 advantage. USC clinched the sweep at the No. 5 slot when Nguyen defeated Taylor Chavez Goggin, 6-1, 6-3.
Konigsfeldt, Finkelstein and Mathieu Forget's matches were all suspended due to an early knockout victory by USC.
(1) Robert Farah-Steve Johnson (USC) def. Alex Konigsfeldt-Josh Finkelstein (UCSB), 8-1
(2) Abdullah Magdas-Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Scott Hohenstein-Evan Jurgensen (UCSB), 8-6
(3) Matt Kecki-Jaak Poldma (USC) vs. Taylor Chavez-Goggin-Nick Caledonia (UCSB), 7-6 susp.
Order of Finish: 1, 2
(1) Robert Farah (USC) vs. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 6-3, 4-3 susp.
(2) Jaak Poldma (USC) vs. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) , 6-3, 3-4 susp.
(3) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB), 6-0, 6-3
(4) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-1, 6-2
(5) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB), 6-1, 6-3
(6) Andrew Kells (USC) vs. Mathieu Forget (UCSB), 6-1, 3-4 susp.
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5