April 30, 2011
Indian Wells, Calif - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team was defeated by top-seeded UC Irvine 4-1 in the semifinals of the Big West Tournament Saturday, the Gauchos finished the season with a record of 10-15.
The Anteaters jumped out ahead immediately with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take the point. In singles, UCI quickly won matches at courts No. 3 and No.6 giving them a 3-0 lead.
Alex Konigsfeldt defeated Sam Gould 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2 singles giving the Gauchos their only point of the match. With the Anteaters leading 3-1, it appeared as though UCSB would climb back into contention due to close matches in progress at court No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5, but Chris Kearney rallied from a 4-0 deficit to in the second set to defeat Benjamin Recknagel 7-5, 7-5 and clinch a spot in the tournament final for UCI.
The remaining in-progress matches were abandoned once UCI sealed the victory.
Complete Results Listed Below:
#40 UC Irvine 4, (4) UCSB 1
1. Kearney/Stege (UCI) vs. Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin DNF
2. Henderson/Gould (UCI) def. Recknagel/Forget (UCSB) 8-5
3. Cheung/Matthews (UCI) def. Jurgensen/Therp (UCSB) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. #39 Chris Kearney (UCI) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 7-5, 7-5
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Sam Gould (UCI) 6-3, 6-3
3. Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ryan Cheung (UCI) vs. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) DNF
5. Shan Sondhu (UCI) vs. Max Glenn (UCSB) DNF
6. Steven Henderson (UCI) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2, 1