Gauchos Cruise Past UC Riverside in Opening Round of the Big West Tournament
April 29, 2011
Indian Wells, Calif - UC Santa Barbara cruised to a 4-0 victory over UC Riverside in the opening round of the Big West Tournament Friday, at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The Gauchos displayed poise and efficiency, dismantling the Highlanders without dropping a set in singles play.
Santa Barbara carried the momentum over to singles play sealing the victory with wins at courts No. 3, No.5 and No. 6. Max Glenn rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 win against Ryan Stanbury at No. 5 and Therp defeated Kevin Griffin 6-1, 6-0 at court No. 6. Mathieu Forget shut the door on UCR with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Kevin Conroy at the No. 3 position.
The Gauchos will take on top-seeded UC Irvine in the semifinals at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday.
Complete Results Listed Below:
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) def. Conroy/Doan (UCR) - 8-3
2. Recknagel/Forget (UCSB) vs. Andres/Macherez (UCR) DNF tied 7-7
3. Therp/Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Matias/Peterson (UCR) - 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) vs. Quoc Doan (UCR) - DNF UCSB led 6-2, 4-1
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) vs. Felix Macherez (UCR) - DNF UCSB led 6-3
3. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Mike Conroy (UCR) - 6-1, 6-0
4. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) vs. Austin Andres (UCR) - DNF UCSB led 6-2, 2-0
5. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Ryan Stanbury (UCR) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Philip Therp (UCSB) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) - 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3