April 26, 2009
UC Santa Barbara, Calif. - The No. 73 UC Santa Barbara men's tennis squad came up short Sunday afternoon at the Recreation Center courts, dropping a 5-2 decision to No. 38 Cal. The loss moves the Gauchos to 11-13 overall as they await the NCAA selection show to take place Tuesday afternoon at 5:20 Eastern Time.
In doubles, the UCSB men went up a break at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots, but let the lead slip away as the Bears took over to sweep the doubles point.
The momentum for Cal shifted over to singles play as the Golden Bears were just too strong. On center court, Pedro Zerbini notched a perfect 6-0, 6-0 victory over Alex Konigsfeldt while Nick Andrews ran away with the match on court three against Max Taylor, winning 6-2, 6-0.
The Gauchos will resume play next weekend in the NCAA Regionals. The match will be scheduled following the NCAA selection show.
1. Chiziver/Heavey def. Alexander Konigsfeldt/Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) 8-6
2. Andrews/Zerbini def. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) 9-7
3. Katsarov/Tu def. Nick Caledonia/Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 8-6
1. Pedro Zerbini def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-0,6-0
2. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Eoin Heavey 4-6,6-3 (10-4)
3. Nick Andrews def. Max Taylor (UCSB) 6-2,6-0
4. Bozhidar Katsarov def. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 6-4,6-2
5. Thai Tu def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 7-5,6-7 (10-7)
6. Nick Caledonia (UCSB) def. Evan Rose 2-6,6-2 (10-7)