April 19, 2008
Provo, Utah - The BYU men's tennis team rebounded from last week's tough loss to No. 64 Utah with a 6-1 upset over No. 65 UC Santa Barbara Saturday at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts. With the loss, the Gauchos fall to 13-8 on the season.
The pairing of Jonathon Sanchez and A.J. Young gave BYU an early advantage, posting a win over junior Bijan Hejazi and sophomore Philip Therp, 8-2. Soon after, the Cougars claimed the doubles point, dispatching sophomore Josh Finkelstein and freshman Alexander Konigsfeldt at the No. 2 slot, 8-5.
BYU quickly increased its lead to 3-0 in singles play when Thomas Shubert upended Hejazi, 6-1, 6-2, and Cassidy Mears defeated senior Jack Hui 6-2, 6-3. The Cougars sealed the upset at the No. 5 position, where Daniel Hwang of BYU posted a 6-1, 6-4 triumph over junior Max Taylor.
The lone win for UCSB came from sophomore Philip Therp, who notched his fifth victory of the season at the No. 1 slot over Sanchez, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1.
The No. 65 Gauchos will try and bounce back from their loss today by pulling off an upset of their own against No. 35 Boise State Sunday at the Appleton Tennis Center at 11:00 a.m. PT.
1. Sanchez/Young (BYU) def. Hejazi/Therp (UCSB) 8-2
2. Hwang/Shubert (BYU) def. Finkelstein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 8-5
3. Dalskov/Hui (UCSB) def. Mears/Urbina (BYU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. P. Therp (UCSB) def. J. Sanchez (BYU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. T. Shubert (BYU) def. B. Hejazi (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
3. C. Mears (BYU) def. J. Hui (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
4. E. Urbina (BYU) def. A. Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 7-6, 6-2
5. D. Hwang (BYU) def. M. Taylor (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
6. A. Young (BYU) def. J. Finkelstein (UCSB)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5, 6, 4, 1