April 18, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara closed out the regular season with a 4-3 victory over San Francisco. Though the Dons took an early lead, the Gauchos fought back to win the match, giving them a season record of 13-10.
Freshmen Benjamin Recknagel and Lucas Sudow were the first to finish their doubles match, easily defeating Mark DeCastro and Einar Hart, 8-3. The Dons then took the No. 1 Doubles match, defeating the Gauchos 8-6. USF then won the doubles point after they snuck past the Gauchos in the No. 3 position.
UCSB's Mathieu Forget was quick to tie the match up with a win against Jacob Hartwig 6-0, 6-2. The rest of the singles matches, however, did not start in the Gauchos' favor.
"USF won the first set on courts 1, 4, and 5, held a 5-2 lead on 3, and a 6-5 lead on 2," said Coach Marty Davis. "It really didn't look good for the Blue and Gold."
After a loss at No. 5 Singles, the Gauchos needed to win three of the four remaining singles matches to win the overall dual match, and that is exactly what they did.
Down 2-5 in the first set, Junior Alex Konigsfeldt won 11 of 13 games to defeat Asaf Cohen 7-6, 6-1. After winning a long, tiring first set, Benjamin Recknagel showed his endurance, crushing his USF opponent in a 6-0 second set. Lucas Sudow then sealed the win for the Gauchos as he ended a three set match against Ola Bakke, 6-7, 6-1, 6-3.
The Gauchos have eleven days to prepare for the Big West Championship Tournament. The tournament will be held in Indian Wells, Calif. from April 30 to May 2. UCSB will be defending their championship title that they have held for the past four years.
#60 UCSB 4 - USF 3
1. Tu/Cohen def. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 8-6
2. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) def. DeCastro/Hart 8-3
3. Schumacher/Hartwig def. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-6
1. Thai Tu def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 7-5,6-7 (10-3)
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Einar Hart 7-6,6-0
3. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Asaf Cohen 7-6,6-1
4. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Ola Bakke 6-7,6-1,6-3
5. Will Schumacher def. Scott Hohenstein 6-2,6-3
6. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Jacob Hartwig 6-0,6-2
SEASON RECORD: 13-10
BIG WEST: 3-2