Gauchos Swat Hornets, 6-1
April 17, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara played a well-rounded match to defeat Sacramento State 6-1 today. The Gauchos are now 12-10 for the season heading into their final match tomorrow. UCSB's Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez Goggin kicked things off with a win in No. 1 Doubles against Kiryl Harbatsiuk and Marko Starcevic, 8-3. Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen then helped UCSB take the doubles point in their 8-3 No. 3 Doubles win against Jason Smith and Jimmy Roberts.
The Gauchos proceeded to win five of their six singles matches. Benjamin Recknagel, Alex Konigsfeldt, Lucas Sudow, Mathieu Forget, and Scott Hohenstein dominated their Sacramento State opponents, all winning their singles matches in two sets. "From top to bottom, beginning to end, the Gauchos played their best match of the season today," said Coach Marty Davis. "They all won very, very competitive straight set matches, displaying great composure, grit and much improved attacking skills."
UCSB will play their final home match of the year tomorrow against No. 73 San Francisco at 11:00AM. This will be the Gauchos' last match before the Big West Championship Tournament. Seniors Josh Finkelstein and Scott Hohenstein will be recognized before playing at the Recreation Center Courts for the last time.
#60 UCSB 6 - Sacramento State 1
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin def. Harbatsiuk/Starcevic (UCSB) 8-3
2. Ching/Stryhas def. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) 8-5
3. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Smith/Roberts 8-3
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk def. Philip Therp 6-2,6-3
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Anton Stryhas 6-4,6-3
3. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Jason Smith 6-2,7-5
4. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Holden Ching 7-6,6-2
5. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Marko Starcevic 6-1,7-6
6. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Tim Lantin 6-1,6-3
SEASON RECORD: 12-10
BIG WEST: 3-2