Gauchos Squeak by Lions, 4-3
April 11, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - On a windy Santa Barbara afternoon, the UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team won a close battle with Loyola Marymount, defeating the Lions 4-3. This was the Gauchos' eleventh victory this season and gives them a home record of 6-2.
The doubles point was a close fight. The Lions took the No. 1 Doubles match by a score of 8-2 while UCSB's Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen won at the No. 3 spot, 8-1. Freshmen Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel took down LMU's Borja Malet and Renzo Maggi 9-7 to give UCSB a 2-1 edge and tally the doubles point.
The remainder of the match was an even competition. UCSB's Mathieu Forget was the first to win, beating Borja Malet in No. 5 Singles 6-3, 6-3. LMU was quick to answer back as Renzo Maggi defeated Taylor Chavez Goggin 6-3, 6-0. After Alex Konigsfeldt picked up the third point for the Gauchos in his win at No. 3 Singles, there were three matches remaining, all entering their third sets.
In need of only one more point to win the match, UCSB's Scott Hohenstein stepped up to guarantee the victory. After losing the first set 6-7 and falling to a 0-3 defecit in the second, Hohenstein battled back to defeat Johan Berjof in No. 6 Singles in three sets, sealing the win for the Gauchos. Coach Marty Davis was pleased with their performance.
"We showed some toughness in the cold, windy, challenging conditions, a good sign for the upcoming Big West Tournament."
The Gauchos will compete in their second to last match on Saturday, April 17 at home against Sacramento State before they head to Indian Wells, Calif. to compete in the Big West Championship Tournament. They will play their final regular season match the following day against San Francisco.
#61 UCSB 4 - LMU 3
1. Lopez/Sauer def. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 8-2
2. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) def. Malet/Maggi 9-7
3. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Zapala/Vonderahe 8-1
1. Ivan Lopez def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 2-6,6-1,7-5
2. Otto Sauer def. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) 6-7,6-4,7-5
3. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Geza Bazula 6-2,6-3
4. Renzo Maggi def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin 6-3,6-0
5. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Borja Malet 6-3,6-3
6. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Johan Berhof 6-7,6-4,6-2