April 11, 2009
UC Santa Barbara, Calif. - The No. 75 UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team completed its regular season at home Saturday afternoon with an emphatic 6-1 win over Loyola Marymount on Senior Day. The Gauchos honored lone senior Max Taylor who battled Borja Malet to three sets at the No. 4 singles position, but did not come away with the win.
The UCSB men started hot, sweeping all three doubles matches. On court one, Alex Konigsfeldt and Josh Finkelstein notched a decisive 8-1 victory over Borja Malet and Aris Andresian while Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen finished off Ivan Lopez and Nick Vonderahe at the No. 2 slot, 8-3.
In singles, the Gauchos carried the momentum over, dispatching five Lions to earn their fourth victory at home. Scott Hohenstein crushed his opponent at the No. 3 spot, losing only one game, to put UCSB up 2-0. Mathieu Forget followed suit, posting another solid win at No. 6 position and Taylor Chavez Goggin put the match away with a straight set win at No. 5 slot.
UCSB improves to 8-12 on the season (3-2 in Big West) with the win. The Gauchos will ready for the all important Big West Championships next weekend in Indian Wells, Calif. and a chance at earning a record fourth straight trip to the NCAA Championships.
1. Alexander Konigsfeldt/Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Malet/Andresian 8-1
2. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Lopez/Vonderahe 8-3
3. Nick Caledonia/Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Berhof/Abgayran 8-7
1. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def Ivan Lopez 7-5,7-6
2. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Johan Berhof 7-6,6-4
3. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Aram Abgayran 6-1,6-0
4. Borja Malet def. Max Taylor (UCSB) 4-6,6-4,7-5
5. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Aris Andresian 6-4,6-3
6. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Nick Vanderrahe 6-4,6-2