April 9, 2011
Arlington Texas - Men's tennis dropped its fourth consecutive match Saturday, falling to UT Arlington 4-3, to open a two-match Texas road trip. With the loss the Gauchos are now 8-12 overall and 2-2 in Big West Conference play.
Santa Barbara's struggles continued in doubles play despite changes in the lineup. Benjamin Recknagel moved to court No. 3 and played with Evan Jurgenson, while Philip Therp teamed with Mathieu Forget at court No. 2, but both duos were defeated in their matches 9-8 (7-5) and 8-2 respectively.
Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez-Goggin remained in their normal spots at No.1 doubles and pulled out at 9-8 (7-5) victory over Mindegaus Celedinas and David Surbirats, in a match completed after the doubles point had been decided.
In Singles, Max Glenn was a bright spot for the Gauchos defeating Brieuc Hamon 6-2, 6-4 at court No. 6.
Recknagel had his streak of four straight matches without a loss snapped by Celedinas at court No.1 losing 7-5, 6-2. Mathieu Forget lost in straight sets to Yauheni Yakauleu at court No. 3, 6-4, 6-4 and Taylor Chavez Goggin fell to Subirats 6-3, 6-2 at court No. 4.
The remaining singles matches at courts No. 2 and No. 5 are in dispute due to the fact that UT Arlington pulled their players from the match once they clinched the victory in anticipation of their second match of the day against Baylor.
Philip Therp won his fourth consecutive match in his debut at No. 5 singles defeating Nicolas Moreno 6-4, 5-4 (retired).
The Gauchos conclude their road trip Sunday, April 10 with a match against SMU beginning at noon.
Complete results listed below:
UT Arlington 4 UC Santa Barbara 3
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) def. Celedinas/Subirats (UTA) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Leppin/Hamon (UTA) def. Forget/ Therp (UCSB) 8-2
3. Moreno/Yakauleu (UTA) def. Recknagel/Jurgenson 9-8 (7-5)
1. Mindegaus Celedinas (UTA) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 7-5, 6-2
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Lucas Leppin (UTA) 6-4, 2-6 (retired)
3. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
4. David Subirats (UTA) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
5. Philip Therp (UCSB) def. Nicolas Moreno (UTA) 6-4, 5-4 (retired)
6. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Brieuc Hamon (UTA) 6-2, 6-4