April 9, 2006
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego State men's tennis team rebounded from Saturday's tough loss to No. 2 Pepperdine with a 6-1 triumph over UC Santa Barbara Sunday afternoon in a non-conference dual match at Aztec Tennis Center. SDSU claimed the doubles point and captured five of singles matches to wrap up its regular season home schedule. With the victory, the 56th-ranked Aztecs improve to 11-7 on the season, while the Gauchos fall to 11-9 overall.
Fresh off of their upset over the top-ranked doubles team from Pepperdine, the No. 21 tandem of Markus Dickhardt and Benedikt Stronk avoided a letdown against UCSB's Nick Brotman and Anders Dalskov, winning their sixth contest in a row by a count of 8-4 to give the Aztecs an early advantage. The pairing of Christian Groh and Eugenio Romero then clinched the point for SDSU with an 8-5 win over the Gauchos' Elad Stern and Max Taylor.
The Aztecs increased their lead to 2-0 in singles play when Billy Timu notched his first victory since Feb. 5, with a 6-4, 6-3 decision over Carsten Thorstensen at the No. 6 position. UCSB cut SDSU's margin in half, however, when Bijan Hejazi upended Stronk in straight sets at the No. 2 spot, 7-5, 6-4.
The Aztecs squelched the Gauchos' uprising, taking the next four contests to pocket the win. Playing at the No.1 position for just the second time this season, Groh responded with a 6-2, 7-6 triumph over Brotman to extend his winning streak to nine matches. Stephan Timu then secured the team victory for the scarlet and black, pinning a 7-6, 7-5 defeat on Dalskov on the third court.
The remaining two matches were both three-set affairs as Robert Sabo and Anthony Gomez were each able to recover from early deficits to register grueling comeback victories. Sabo staged a spirited rally to knock off Taylor, 5-7, 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 5 spot, while over on the No. 4 court, Gomez survived a hard-fought battle with Stern, 3-6, 7-6, 7-5, to give the contest its final outcome.
No. 56 SAN DIEGO STATE 6, UC SANTA BARBARA 1
Aztec Tennis Center--San Diego, Calif.
1. No. 21 Benedikt Stronk/Markus Dickhardt (SDSU) def. Nick Brotman/Anders Dalskov (UCSB), 8-4.
2. Carsten Thorstensen/Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Stephan Timu/Anthony Gomez (SDSU), 8-6.
3. Christian Groh/Eugenio Romero (SDSU) def. Elad Stern/Max Taylor (UCSB), 8-5. SDSU wins doubles point
1. Christian Groh (SDSU) def. Nick Brotman (UCSB), 6-2, 7-6.
2. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) def. Benedikt Stronk (SDSU), 7-5, 6-4.
3. Stephan Timu (SDSU) def. Anders Dalskov (UCSB), 7-6, 7-5.
4. Anthony Gomez (SDSU) def. Elad Stern (UCSB), 3-6, 7-6, 7-5.
5. Robert Sabo (SDSU) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 5-7, 6-4, 7-5.
6. Billy Timu (SDSU) def. Carsten Thorstensen (UCSB), 6-4, 6-3.
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 6, 2, 1, 3*, 5, 4