April 5, 2009
San Diego, Calif. - With the match tied at three apiece, Scott Hohenstein upended Nikola Bubnic in the third set to give the No. 74 UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team a thrilling 4-3 victory Sunday afternoon over No. 62 University of San Diego. The Toreros were the third nationally ranked victim for the Gauchos this season, moving them to 7-12 on the year (3-2 in Big West).
The Gauchos opened the match with two wins in doubles to post the early 1-0 lead. Alex Konigsfeldt and Josh Finkelstein thumped Nils Schive and Dean Jackson on center court, 8-3, while it took Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen an extra point to slip past Juan de Villiers and Chris Coetzee, 9-7.
In singles, Jackson put the Toreros on the board first with a decisive 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 1 slot. The match remained tied after the Gauchos split matches on court four and five. Mathieu Forget topped Tom Wolff, 7-5, 6-2, while Max Taylor dropped his match, 6-3, 7-5.
In the No. 2 position, Finkelstein dug himself out of an early hole to post the third victory for the Gauchos. After Schive knotted the match at three apiece at the No. 6 slot, Scott Hohenstein fought off Bubnic in the third set to give the Gauchos a thrilling road upset.
The Gauchos will return home Sunday to face LMU at 1:00 p.m. Come out and support UCSB senior day as the men of blue and white take home court for the last time this year.
USD 3, UCSB 4 USD West Tennis Courts - San Diego, Calif.
1. Alexander Konigsfeldt/Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Nils Schive/Dean Jackson (USD), 9-3
2. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Juan de Villiers/Chris Coetzee (USD), 9-7
3. Tom Wolff/Charl Wolmarans (USD) def. Nick Caledonia/Alex Gushner (UCSB), 9-8
UCSB wins doubles point.
1. Dean Jackson (USD) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 6-1, 6-2
2. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Charl Wolmarans (USD), 6-2, 3-6, 3-6
3. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Nikola Bubnic (USD), 7-6, 7-5, 3-6
4. Chris Coetzee (USD) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-3, 7-5
5. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Tom Wolff (USD), 7-6, 6-3
6. Nils Schive (USD) def. Devin Nerenberg (UCSB), 6-4, 6-2, 6-2