No. 74 UCSB Falls to No. 37 San Diego State
April 5, 2009
San Diego, Calif. - The No. 74 UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team came up short Saturday afternoon against a competitive No. 37 San Diego State squad, 5-2. With the loss, the Gauchos fall to 6-12 on the year while inching closer to the Big West tournament in mid April.
In doubles, the duo of Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen slipped past Giovanni Vaglietti and Michael Beron at the No. 2 position, 8-7, but the Gauchos could not piece together another doubles win, giving up an early 1-0 lead.
After Bartosz Golas defeated Scott Hohenstein on court two, the Gauchos rallied back with wins from Josh Finkelstein and Devin Nerenberg. Finkelstein upended Vaglietti at the No. 3 slot, 6-4, 6-1, while Nerenberg bulled over Beron on court six, 6-3, 6-0.
Unfortunately, the UCSB men ran out of steam with Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez Goggin both falling in straight sets to clinch the win for the Aztecs.
The Gauchos will stay on the road tomorrow, facing San Diego at 12:30 p.m.
#37 SDSU 5, #74 UCSB 2 April 4 - Fairbanks Ranch Tennis Club
1. Ceban/Gomez (SDSU) def. Konigsfeldt/Finkelstein (UCSB) 8-5
2. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Vaglietti/Beron (SDSU) 8-7 (6)
3. Golas/Schulz van Endert (SDSU) def. Chavez Goggin/Caledonia (UCSB) 8-3
1. Achim Ceban (SDSU) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
2. Bartosz Golas (SDSU) def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
3. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU) def. Max Taylor (UCSB) 6-7 (7), 6-1, (10-3)
5. Andre Feliz (SDSU) def. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 7-5, 6-2
6. Devin Nerenberg (UCSB) def. Michael Beron (SDSU) 6-3, 6-0