March 28, 2009
Stockton, Calif. - The visiting Santa Barbara men's tennis team rallied from a 0-2 deficit to hand No. 54 Pacific its first loss in Big West play this season. The Gauchos stand in second place in the conference with a 3-1 record, with one more Big West match to go.
The Gauchos struggled early, dropping the doubles point and losing in the first singles match of the day at the No. 2 slot. However, the UCSB men notched four straight singles victories to edge past the Tigers.
Taylor Chavez Goggin posted the first victory for UCSB, taking down Karl-Erik Paaro at the No. 5 position, 6-3, 7-5. The Gauchos soon tied the match at two apiece when Mattieu Forget topped Christian Kuehne on court six, 6-2, 7-5. Josh Finkelstein and Max Taylor both grabbed victories to cap the Gauchos come-from-behind win at the No. 3 and No. 4 spots, respectively.
The UCSB men move to 6-9 on the season while the Tigers drop to 8-5 overall.
1. Moritz Starke / Renan Delsin (PAC) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt / Josh Finkelstein (UCSB): 8-3
2. Scott Hohenstein / Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Artem Gramma / Ryan Kim (PAC): 8-5
3. Karl-Erik Paaro / Chrisitian Kuehne (PAC) def. Taylor Chavez Goggin / Nick Caledonia (UCSB): 8-4
Order of Finish:
1, 2, 3
1. Moritz Starke (PAC) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB): 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
2. Artem Gramma (PAC) def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB): 6-1, 6-1
3. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def Renan Delsin (PAC): 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Max Taylor (UCSB) def. Vegerd Veskimagi (PAC) def.: 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def Karl-Erik Paaro (PAC) def.: 6-3, 6-4
6. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def, Christian Kuehne (PAC): 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish:
2, 5, 6, 3, 4, 1