March 27, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team ended its four-game home stand with a 7-0 sweep against Dartmouth.
To begin the match, the Gauchos swept the Big Green in doubles to lock down the doubles point. From that point on, UCSB's three freshmen took over to seal the win.
Lucas Sudow dropped only one game in his victory against Dartmouth's Michael Laser, 6-0, 6-1. Benjamin Recknagel was next to tally a point for the Gauchos as he defeated Curtis Roby, 7-5, 6-1. Max Glenn closed out the win with another solid performance in No. 6 Singles, beating Dartmouth's Jeff Friedman, 6-3, 6-2.
In No. 4 Singles, Mathieu Forget battled back after losing his first set, winning his match against Dartmouth's Chris Ho, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Juniors Philip Therp and Taylor Chavez-Goggin also lost their first sets, but fought back to win their second. With the outcome of the game already determined, they each played a match tiebreaker against their Dartmouth opponents. Therp sealed his victory with a 10-4 win against Daniel Freeman in the No. 1 spot. Down 6-4, Chavez Goggin battled back to defeat Xander Centenari 10-8 in No. 5 Singles and locked down the sweep for the Gauchos.
"It was the first sweep this season, which suggests that we are beginning to play up to our potential and bodes well for Wednesday's big conference match at Cal Poly," said Coach Marty Davis.
UCSB will play in their first Big West Conference match in over a month against Cal Poly on Wednesday in San Luis Obispo, Calif. If the Gauchos win their match against the Mustangs, they will secure a first round bye at the Big West Conference Championships and guarantee at least a second place regular season finish.
UCSB 7 - Dartmouth 0
1. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Freeman/Laser 8-6
2. Lucas Sudow/Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Ho/DeChatellus 8-4
3. Philip Therp/Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) def. Schlobohm/Roby 8-5
1. Philip Therp (UCSB) def. Daniel Freeman 4-6,7-5 (10-4)
2. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Michael Laser 6-0,6-1
3. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Curtis Roby 7-5,6-1
4. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Chris Ho 4-6,6-4,6-2
5. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) def. Xander Centenari 6-7,6-4 (10-8)
6. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Jeff Friedman 6-3,6-2