Gauchos Fall Short Against No. 33 BYU
March 25, 2011
Provo, Utah - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team had its four-match winning streak snapped by No. 33 BYU Friday, losing the contest 4-1, on day one of the BYU invitational in Provo, Utah.
The Gauchos will play a doubleheader tomorrow, with matches against William and Mary and UNC Wilmington to conclude their participation in the invitational.
BYU secured the doubles point, winning matches at courts No. 2 and No.3. Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez-Goggin led 6-2 in their match at No. 1 doubles, but the match was suspended once the Cougars clinched the point.
Matt Forget was a bright spot for the Gauchos in singles play, defeating No. 101 ranked Patrick Kawka 6-2, 6-4 at court No. 4. Forget has now won seven consecutive singles matches and is 6-0 when playing at No. 4 doubles.
The matches at No. 5 and No. 6 singles were abandoned due to time constraints.
The Gauchos resume play Saturday, March 26 at 11 a.m. against William and Mary.
Complete results listed below:
1. Urbina/Kawka (BYU) vs. Konigsfeldt/Chaves-Goggin (UCSB) 2-6 susp.
2. Shubert/Batrakov (BYU) def. Recknagel/Forget (UCSB) 8-3
3. Warias/Smith (BYU) def. Therp/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-4
Order: 2, 3
1. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
2. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
4. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. No. 101 Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Thomas Shubert (BYU) vs. Max Glenn (UCSB) susp.
6. Roman Warias (BYU) vs. Philip Therp (UCSB) susp.
Order: 3, 2, 4, 1