No. 35 Northwestern Edges UCSB in 4-3 Thriller
March 24, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara was defeated by No. 35 Northwestern in a suspenseful match on Wednesday, 4-3. Though the Gauchos began with a 3-0 deficit, they rallied back and kept the match close until the very last point.
The Wildcats started off strong, sweeping the Gauchos in their three doubles matches. After defeating UCSB in No. 1 and No. 4 Singles, Northwestern took an early 3-0 lead in the match.
Though the Gauchos were only one point away from defeat, they challenged the Wildcats and came back firing. Freshman Benjamin Recknagel started off with a solid win as he defeated Northwestern's Alex Sanhorn in No. 5 Singles, 6-3, 6-3. In the No. 2 spot, Alex Konigsfeldt, who was fighting through a leg injury, battled to defeat Andrew McCarthy, 6-2, 6-4.
With the momentum swinging in the Gauchos favor, sophomore Mathieu Forget made a come back in No. 6 Singles and won the tiebreaker to beat Mark Schanerman, 6-4, 7-6. As Forget tied the match at 3-3, it all came down to the final set between freshman Lucas Sudow and Northwestern's Spencer Wolf at No. 3 Singles.
"With both teams cheering support from the sideline and a palpable amount of tension in the air, Lucas and his opponent played an incredible set of tennis," said Coach Marty Davis.
Sudow was down in the final set to begin, but came back and eventually took the lead, 5-4. Wolf answered back with some tough serves to hold and did so again when down 5-6. Eventually, Wolf was victorious, winning the final set 7-6 and thus sealing the win for the Wildcats.
The Gauchos have a break tomorrow, but will continue their home stand on Friday at 11:00AM against BYU. Davis predicts another close match.
"I would expect the match with the Cougars to be every bit as close and exciting as today's tie with Northwestern."
UCSB 3 - #35 Northwestern 4
1. Reitz/McCarthy def. Konigsfeldt/Goggin (UCSB) 8-6
2. Graves/Schanerman def. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-4
3. Wolf/Sanborn def. Lucas Sudow/Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 8-4
1. Josh Graves def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-4,6-1
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Andrew McCarthy 6-2,6-4
3. Spencer Wolf def. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) 5-7,6-4,7-6 (5)
4. Sidarth Balaji def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) 7-6,6-3
5. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Alex Sanhorn 6-3,6-3
6. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Mark Schanerman 6-4,7-6 (2)