March 21, 2011
Santa Barbara Calif - UC Santa Barbara men's tennis emerged victorious in both matches of its doubleheader Monday, defeating No. 71 Dartmouth 4-2 and sweeping Eastern Washington 7-0 at the Recreation Center Courts on campus.
The Gauchos have now won four consecutive matches to even their record at 7-7 on the season.
In the match against Dartmouth Benjamin Recknagel once again played the role of closer defeating Michael Laser 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 at No. 1 singles with Santa Barbara leading the match 3-2, to clinch the victory.
At No. 2 singles Alex Konigsfeldt had a dominant outing against Xander Centenari winning 6-4, 6-0.
Mathieu Forget won his fifth straight singles match at No. 4 singles defeating Cameron Ghorbani in straight sets 7-6, 6-2 and Max Glenn rebounded from a rough first set to defeat Stephen Greif 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 at court No. 5.
Freshman Alexander Gryaznov made his collegiate debut At No. 6 singles winning the first set of his match against Brandon DeBot, but failed to close out the match losing 4-6, 6-3 6-2.
In the match against Eastern Washington the Gauchos took the doubles point winning two of the three matches behind clutch performances by Recknagel and Forget at court No. 2. The duo rallied from an early deficit to defeat Kyle Koetje and Stefan Simikic 9-7.
In singles, Santa Barbara won all six matches. Gryaznov picked up his first collegiate victory defeating Chris Eriksson 6-3, 4-6, (10-7) in the final match of the day.
The next match for the Gauchos is at BYU Friday, March 25 beginning at 9 a.m. MT in Provo, Utah.
Complete results listed below:
UC Santa Barbara vs #71 Dartmouth
1.Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Michael Laser (Dartmouth) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Xander Centenari (Dartmouth) 6-4, 6-0
3. Curtis Roby (Dartmouth) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 7-6, 6-3
4. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Cameron Ghorbani (Dartmouth) 7-6, 6-2
5. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Stephen Greif (Dartmouth) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Brandon DeBot (Dartmouth) def. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
Winner UC Santa Barbara
UC Santa Barbara vs. Eastern Washington
1.Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) def. Simiki/Koetje (E. Wash) 8-3
2. Recknagel/Forget (UCSB) def. Henniger/Sanchez (E. Wash) 9-7
3. Eriksson/Russell (E. Wash) def. Jurgensen/Gryaznov (UCSB) 9-8
1. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Fernando Mussolini (E. Wash) 6-2, 6-0
2. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) def. Julian Sanchez (E. Wash) 6-4, 6-4
3. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Mario Navarro (E. Wash) 6-0, 6-3
4. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Stefan Simikic (E. Wash) 6-4, 6-3
5. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Chad Henninger (E. Wash) 6-3, 4-6, (10-7)
6. Alexander Johnson (UCSB) def. Chris Eriksson (E. Wash) 6-2, 6-4
Final Score 7-0
Season W-L 7-7
UCSB Sweeps Doubleheader
Mar 21, 2011