March 8, 2009
Dallas, Texas - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team came up short again this weekend, dropping a 4-3 decision to SMU at the Turpin Tennis Stadium courts.
"We played a lot better today then yesterday," head coach Marty Davis said. "They were a tough team and one that was just too good."
The Gauchos got off to a rocky start, dropping two of the three doubles matches and losing the doubles point. Alex Konigsfeldt and Josh Finkelstein edged Housher and Derabatch, 8-7, to post UCSB's only win in doubles.
"Finkelstein has played exceptionally well this weekend," coach Davis explained. "He went the whole weekend without a loss and was definitely the highlight for today."
Devin Nerenberg, who has recently been getting more playing time, also registered a victory on the day, boosting the Gauchos score to three.
"Nerenberg played the best match of his career up to date," coach Davis said of the UCSB newcomer.
However, the Mustangs would not go away as they posted victories at the No. 1 and No. 5 slots. SMU finally secured the win after Beladaugh surpassed hohenstein on court two, 7-5, 6-4.
The Gauchos drop to 4-7 on the season and will play this week against Pennsylvania and Yael. Both matches will be at 1:30 at the UCSB Recreation Center courts on Wednesday(3/11) and Thursday (3/12).
1. Konigsfeldt/Finkelstein def. Hooshyar/Baradach, 8-7
2. Walsh/el-Effendi def. Hohenstein/Jurgensen, 8-6
3. Fahgen/Cuadranti def. Goggin/Caledonia, 8-4
1. Robin Fahgen def. Alex Konigsfeldt, 6-4, 6-1
2. Artem Baradach def. Scott Hohenstein, 7-5, 6-4
3. Max Taylor def. Chris Hooshyar, 7-5, 7-5
4. Josh Finkelstein def. Adham el-Effendi, 6-4, 7-6
5. Darren Walsh def. Taylor Chavez Goggin, 6-2, 6-4
6. Devin Nerenberg def Gaston Cuadranti, 6-3, 6-2