March 9, 2007
Malibu, Calif. - An injury-plagued UCSB men's tennis team suffered a 6-1 setback at No. 24 Pepperdine Thursday at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The Waves, the reigning national champions, snapped a five-match losing streak and extended their home-court winning streak to 49 matches.
The Gauchos fell to 2-9 overall and the Waves improved to 8-6 on the season. It was the fourth-straight loss for UCSB.
Pepperdine swept all three doubles matches as the tandems of Andre Begemann and Mahmoud, Bassam Beidas and James Lemke, and Omar Altmann and Oliver Hyams recorded victories to give the Waves the doubles point.
Begmann, ranked No. 24, defeated Bijan Hejazi, 6-0, 6-4, to secure the first singles point for Pepperdine at No. 1. Beidas defeated Anders Dalskov, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 singles while Lemke, playing at the No. 3 position, topped Josh Finkelstein, 6-3, 7-5. The Waves' final point came at the No. 4 spot where Kamel registered a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Max Taylor.
UC Santa Barbara's Nigel Barton defeated Hyams, 7-5, 6-2, at the fifth spot for the Gauchos' only win.
UCSB only had five players available due to injuries and was forced to concede the No. 6 singles point to Pepperdine.
The Gauchos return home to host three straight matches, starting with San Diego State on March 10 at 1 p.m. San Francisco visits Santa Barbara March 11 (10 a.m.) and Iowa comes to town March 14 (1:30 p.m.).
No. 24 Pepperdine 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
1. Begemann/Kame (PEP) def. Dalskov/Robertson (UCSB), 8-1
2. Beidas/Lemke (PEP) def. Finkelstein/Barton (UCSB), 8-3
3. Altmann/Hyams (PEP def. Hejazi/Taylor (UCSB), 8-2
1. (24) Andre Begemann (PEP) def. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB), 6-0, 6-4
2. Bassam Beidas (PEP) def. Anders Dalskov (UCSB), 6-4, 6-2
3. James Lemke (PEP) def. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB), 6-3, 7-5
4. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
5. Nigel Barton (UCSB) def. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP), 7-5, 6-2
6. UCSB forfeit
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5, 3, 2
Records: Pepperdine (8-6). UC Santa Barbara (2-9).