UT-Arlington Nips UCSB, 4-3
March 7, 2009
Arlington, TEXAS - In rough and windy conditions, the UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team came up just shy Saturday afternoon against UT-Arlington, 4-3, at the UTA Tennis Center. The Gauchos snatched the doubles point, but were overpowered in singles play.
In doubles, the Gauchos got out to a quick 1-0 lead with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Josh Finkelstein and Alex Konigsfeldt inched past Dmitry Minkin and Mindaugas Celedinas, 8-5 on court one, while Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen shut down Gonzalo Bienzobas and David Subirats, 8-4.
The Mavericks then took control of their home court quickly posting victories at the No. 2 and No. 6 slots. Scott Hohenstein secured a win at the No. 3 position with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Brieuc Hamon.
After Konigsfeldt dropped his match to Celedinas, Finkelstein knotted the score at three apiece, slipping past Adam Srkala, 7-5, 7-6. With the match on the line, Taylor Chavez Goggin held a first set lead, but could not hold on against a pestering David Subirats, losing 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.
"We had a chance to win the match with Goggin up a set," coach Marty Davis exclaimed. "But the lead just got away from us. It was a disappointing loss and a match that we should have had."
The loss drops the Gauchos to 4-6 on the year. The UCSB men will hope to rebound tomorrow against SMU at 1:00 p.m.
1. Konigsfeldt/Finkelstein def. Minkin/Celedinas, 8-5
2. Hohenstein/Jurgensen def. Bienzobas/Subirats, 8-4
3. Hamon/Srkala def. Chavez Goggin/Caledonia, 8-1
1. Mindaugas Celedinas def. Alex Konigsfeldt, 7-5, 6-2
2. Dmitry Minkin def. Max Taylor, 6-1, 6-0
3. Scott Hohenstein def. Brieuc Hamon, 6-4, 6-3
4. Josh Finkelstein def. Adam Srkala, 7-5, 7-6
5. David Subirats def. Taylor Chavez Goggin, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Gonzalo Bienzobas def. Mathieu Forget, 6-3, 6-3