Gauchos Sweep UC Riverside
March 6, 2011
Santa Barbara Calif - UC Santa Barbara men's tennis improved to 2-1 in Big West Conference play after sweeping UC Riverside 7-0 Sunday, at the Recreation Center Courts on campus.
The Gauchos were able to bounce back from a close loss to UC Irvine on Friday to defeat the Highlanders despite strong winds that harassed players throughout the match.
Santa Barbara took the doubles point winning two of three matches behind a dominant effort at court No. 1 from Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez Goggin, who defeated Michael Conroy and Quoc Doan 8-1.
In singles, the Gauchos won all six matches in straight sets. Konigsfeldt defeated Felix Macherez 6-3, 6-2 at court No. 2 and Chavez-Goggin grew more comfortable with the wind as his match progressed defeating Austin Andres 7-6, 6-1. Benjamin Recknagel's match at court No. 1 was tied 6-6 in the second set when Quoc Doan was forced to withdraw due to injury.
The Gauchos next match is against San Diego State Friday, March 11 at the Recreation Center Courts on campus beginning at 1:30 p.m.
Complete results listed below:
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin vs. Conroy/Doan (UCSB) 8-1
2. Recknagle/Forget vs. Andresz/Macherez (UCSB) 8-6
3. Therp/Jurgensen vs. Griffin/Stanbury (UCR) 8-6
1. Benjamin Recknagel vs. Quoc Doan (UCSB) 7-5, 6-6 (Retired)
2. Alex Konigsfeldst vs. Felix Macherez (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
3. Taylor Chavez-Goggin vs. Austin Andres (UCSB) 7-6, 6-1
4. Mathieu Forget vs. Ryan Stanbury (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Max Glenn vs. Kevin Griffin (UCSB) 6-1, 6-0
6. Evan Jurgensen vs. Sean Peterson (UCSB) 6-1, 6-1