March 2, 2008
Irvine, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's team suffered their first conference loss of the year to Cal Poly Sunday afternoon at the Mustangs Court.
After No. 2 and No. 3 doubles split their matches, the Gauchos looked to be in the driver's seat at the No. 1 spot protecting a 7-4 lead. However, the Mustangs saved the match point and rallied back winning five straight games to defeat Jack Hui and Philip Therp, 9-7.
Following a disheartening defeat, the Gauchos just could not get back on track. The only wins for UCSB came from Jack Hui and Josh Finkelstein, who won convincingly at the No. 3 and No. 5 positions respectively. Cal Poly soon took over posting four wins against the road weary Gaucho squad. Andy Gerst defeated Bijan Hejazi at the No. 1 slot in three sets, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3, while Philip Therp dropped his match against Darryn Young, 7-6, 6-3.
"We struggled with our footwork, consistency and finishing skills in these windy conditions," Coach Davis explained. "The steadier, more energized and determined Mustangs deserved to win the match."
"The match was one of the most dismal and disappointing UCSB performances in my coaching tenure, Coach Davis said. "There are at least two other conference teams as good or better than Cal Poly, so we have some work to do to defend our Big West title, but it can be done."
The Gauchos fall to 3-4 on the season and will continue their road trip next Sunday against No. 75 UC Irvine at 12:00 for their second consecutive conference match.
1. Foy/Young (CP) def. Therp/Hui (UCSB) 9-7
2. Konigsfeldt/Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Gerst/Berger (CP) 9-8
3. Wardman/Jacobs (CP) def. Hejazi/Barton (UCSB) 8-4
1. Andrew Gerst (CP) def. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Darryn Young (CP) def. Philp Therp (UCSB) 7-6, 6-3
3. Jack Hui (UCSB) def. Drew Jacobs (CP) 6-3, 6-0
4. Robert Foy (CP) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
5. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Blake Wardman (CP) 6-4, 6-2
6. Alexander Sonesson (CP) def. Eric Lee (UCSB) 7-5, 4-6, 6-1