March 1, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - In their second home match this season, the UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team had a comfortable win against the UC Davis Aggies. The Gauchos won two of three matches to take the doubles point and won in No. 2 through 6 Singles to win the match 6-1. UCSB is now 3-1 in the Big West Conference.
Taylor Chavez Goggin and Nick Caledonia paired up for the first time this season and defeated Davis' Tyler Lee and Nic Amaroli 8-5. Freshmen Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel tallied the other doubles win for the Gauchos, beating Toki Sherbakov and Connor Coates 8-4. The freshmen duo is now tied for most doubles wins this season.
UCSB nearly swept the Aggies in singles, defeating them in all but the No. 1 spot. Each of the five winning Gauchos held their UC Davis opponents to two points or less in each set.
Lucas Sudow started off by beating Hunter Lee in No. 4 Singles, 6-0, 6-1. The win makes Sudow 9-1, which gives him the most singles wins for the Gauchos this season.
Davis' Josh Albert then fell to sophomore Mathieu Forget, 6-1, 6-1. UCSB's Alex Konigsfeldt overcame Chris Aria in No. 2 Singles, 6-1, 6-2. Senior Scott Hohenstein defeated Davis' Tyler Lee in two sets, 6-2, 6-2.
The last to win was freshman Benjamin Recknagel, who beat Connor Coates, 6-2, 6-1. Recknagel, who was the most recent Big West Athlete of the Week, has now won 5 singles matches in a row, moving him to 8-3 for the season.
The Gauchos will be back on the road this coming weekend competing against Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Calif. on Sunday, March 6.
UCSB 6, UC Davis 1
1. Lopez/H. Lee def. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB), 8-6
2. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) def. Sherbakov/Coates, 8-4
3. Chavez Goggin/Caledonia (UCSB) def. T. Lee/Amaroli, 8-5
1. Toki Sherbakov def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 7-6, 6-4
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Chris Aria 6-1, 6-2
3. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Tyler Lee 6-2, 6-2
4. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Hunter Lee 6-0, 6-1
5. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Connor Coates 6-2, 6-1
6. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Josh Albert 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish:
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles, 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 1