Feb. 27, 2009
UC Santa Barbara, Calif. - The No. 61 UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team dropped their first Big West match of the season Friday afternoon at the UCSB Recreation Center courts at the hands of UC Irvine, 6-1. The Gauchos started strong, taking the doubles point, but were shutout in singles competition.
Josh Finkelstein and Alex Konigsfeldt posted a stunning 8-1 victory over Wes Miller and Khunipol Issara, while Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen followed it up with an 8-5 win of their own over Kazarian and Tsai, 8-5. The two wins gave the Gauchos an early 1-0 lead, but it was all the Anteaters for the rest of the day.
Miller responded well to the doubles loss by downing Konigsfeldt, 6-4, 6-3 to knot the match at one apiece. The Anteaters continued the onslaught, capturing victories at the No. 3 and No. 4 slots. Max Taylor, who served for the first set of his match twice at No. 2, and Devin Nerenberg at No. 6 were the closest Gauchos to steal a victory, but UC Irvine could not be beat.
The Gauchos will now try to re-group before another tough conference contest this Sunday at noon against the Highlanders of UC Riverside.
UCSB (#61) 1 - UCI 6
1. Finkelstein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Miller/Issara 8-1
2. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Kazarian/Tsai 8-5
3. Henderson/Vaidayanathan def. Caledonia/Goggin (UCSB) 8-6
1. Wes Miller def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-4,6-3
2. Steven Henderson def. Max Taylor (UCSB) 7-6,7-6
3. Fabian Matthews def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) 6-3,6-3
4. Khunipol Issara def. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) 6-3,6-2
5. Stephen Stege def. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 6-4,6-2
6. Sam Gould def. Devin Nerenberg (UCSB) 7-6,6-4