Feb. 9, 2008
The 37th-ranked University of Washington men's tennis team was too much for UC Santa Barbara men's on Friday afternoon at the Nordstrom Tennis Center, as the Huskies swept the Gauchos 7-0.
Bijan Hejazi got the nod at the No. 1 singles slot for the first time this season, taking the place of sophomore Philip Therp. However, neither Hejazi nor Therp could gain any momentum playing on the road as Washington improves to 3-2 on the season.
At No. 3 singles, Washington's Andy Kuharszky made quick work of Jack Hui, winning 6-1, 6-1. With the Gauchos losing senior Anders Dalskov and junior Max Taylor, Santa Barbara had to make adjustments to the bottom of its line-up. Freshman Eric Lee made his debut for the Gauchos, but fell to the Huskies, David Chu, 6-0, 6-4.
UC Santa Barbara will return the courts this afternoon at 3:00 p.m. at the Nordstrom Tennis Center to battle Baylor.
1. Kuharszky/Drabble (UW) def. Therp/Hui (UCSB), 8-4
2. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Finkelstein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 8-5
3. Hejazi/Barton (UCSB) def. Bator/Kildahl (UW), 8-6
1. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB), 6-4, 6-1
2. Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Philip Therp (UCSB), 6-1, 6-3
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Jack Hui (UCSB), 6-1, 6-1
4. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) vs. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
5. Derek Drabble (UW) vs. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB), 6-1, 7-6 (3)
6. David Chu (UW) def. Eric Lee (UCSB), 6-0, 6-4