Feb. 7, 2010
Salt Lake, Utah - UC Santa Barbara won their second dual match of the season in their 4-3 win over Utah on Sunday in Salt Lake. This was their first win since their dual match against St. Mary's College in mid January and makes the team 2-3 for the season.
After losing in No. 1 doubles, the Gauchos went on to win the remaining two doubles matches. Freshmen Benjamin Recknagel and Lucas Sudow tallied another win as they defeated Utah's Artem Strunnikov and Tim Allin 8-4. Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen then beat Utah's Stephen Jacobs and Benito Suriano 8-5.
In singles, UCSB and Utah split the matches. After Utah won No. 1 and No. 2 singles, Taylor Chavez Goggin defeated Dmytro Mamedov 6-3, 6-2. No. 4 singles went to Utah's Alex Golding as he beat Benjamin Recknagel in three sets.
Down 3-2, the Gauchos needed to win the final two singles matches. First, Lucas Sudow went up against Utah's Tim Allin. After losing the first set 3-6, Sudow made a comeback and won the second set 7-5. He closed out the match with a 6-3 win in the third set.
With the dual match tied 3-3, it all came down to No. 6 singles, a match between UCSB's Evan Jurgensen and Utah's Stephen Jacobs. Jacobs took the first set 4-6, but Jurgensen won the second 6-7. Though he was down in the match tiebreaker, Jurgensen battled back to win the third and final set 6-4, thus giving the Gauchos the dual match victory.
"Evan was in the line up because Forget was out with an injury," said Coach Marty Davis. "He primarily competes in doubles, so him being able to come off the bench and win the singles match was huge. It was a good win."
The Gauchos will continue play on February 13 as they compete in their first conference match against UC Riverside in Riverside, Calif.
UCSB-4 - Utah-3
1. Phillip Eilers/Alex Golding def. Alex Koningfeldt/Philip Therp (UCSB) 8-2
2. Benjamin Recknagel/Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Artem Strunnikov/Tim Allin 8-4
3. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Stephen Jacobs/Benito Suriano 8-5
1. Phillip Eilers def. Alex Konigsfeldt- 7-5, 6-1
2. Jason Smits def. Scott Hohenstein- 6-4, 7-5
3. Taylor Chavez Goggin def. Dmytro Mamedov- 6-3, 6-2
4. Alex Golding def. Benjamin Recknagel- 1-6, 7-5,(6-3)
5. Lucas Sudow def. Tim Allin- 3-6, 7-5, (6-3)
6. Evan Jurgensen def. Stephen Jacobs- 6-4, 6-7, (6-4)