No. 62 BYU Stays Undefeated, Gauchos Lose 5-2
Feb. 6, 2010
Provo, Utah - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team lost to No. 62 BYU in Provo, Utah on Saturday. The Gauchos are now 1-3 for the season.
After UCSB lost the first two doubles matches, Freshmen Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel came away with a win for the Gauchos as they beat BYU's Georgy Batrakov and Daniel Hwang 8-7. The win brings the freshman duo's record up to 3-1, giving them the most doubles wins for the team this season.
The Gauchos were defeated in their first four singles matches. In No. 1 singles, UCSB's Alex Konigsfeldt played BYU's Thomas Shubert, who is ranked No. 117 in the nation. After winning the first match and losing the second, Konigsfeldt was up 7-5 in the match tiebreaker. Shubert came back with five consecutive points to win the set 10-7, thus winning the match.
"It was disappointing that Alex lost," said Coach Marty Davis. "He was so close to beating a nationally ranked player."
UCSB's wins came in the No. 5 and No. 6 singles matches, both in three sets. Junior Taylor Chavez Goggin defeated Roman Warlas 4-6, 7-6, (11-9). Lucas Sudow overcame Spencer Smith 6-1, 4-6, (10-7). Sudow's victory keeps him undefeated in singles this season.
"We play Utah in the morning and they are ranked higher than BYU. We need to regroup quickly," said Coach Marty Davis.
BYU's win against UCSB makes them 6-0 for the season. The Gauchos will face No. 53 Utah tomorrow at 11:00AM in Salt Lake, Utah.
BYU - 5 - UCSB - 2
1. Thomas Shubert/Cassidy Mears def. Alex Konigsfeldt/Phillip Therp (UCSB) 8-5
2. Evan Urbina/Spencer Smith def. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-6
3. Benjamin Recknagel/Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Georgy Batrakov/Daniel Hwang 8-7
1. Thomas Shubert (117) def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB)- 6-4, 5-7, (10-7)
2. Evan Urbina def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB)- 6-4, 6-2
3. Cassidy Mears def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB)- 7-5, 6-4
4. Georgy Batrakov def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB)- 6-2, 6-1
5. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Roman Warlas- 4-6, 7-6, (11-9)
6. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Spencer Smith- 6-1, 4-6, (10-7)