SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara saw its four-match win streak come to an end Monday afternoon following a 4-1 loss against No. 46 ranked Cal (11-9 overall). Following the loss, UCSB (10-6 overall, 1-0 Big West) now has only conference games left in its regular season slate beginning with UC Irvine on Saturday.
The top UCSB pair bested the No. 17 ranked Jacob Brumm/Yuta Kikuchi 6-3 to improve to 6-6 on the dual match season. With a win at the top court, UCSB needed just one more victory at either No. 2 or 3 to secure the doubles point,
With Cal up 1-0, the Golden Bears extended their lead to 2-0 following a win on court four over UCSB's Hironori Koyanagi 6-2, 6-4.
Still, the Gauchos would answer back as Holm extends his win streak at the No. 6 court to five-straight victories following a 6-1, 6-2 win. Holm is now 8-7 on the year.
Just as Holm won his match, No. 16 ranked Moreno de Alboran had a triple-match point up 5-4 (40-15) in the second set following a 6-2 win in the first set. Unfortunately, the senior could not pull out the win and in fact, his match would go unfinished.
A 2-2 match could've really turned the tide, but instead, Cal took control and won the match. First, on court three No. 100 ranked Krustev lost 6-3, 6-3 to drop to 11-3 overall on the year. Following that, Rotheram, who fought back well to force a third set, lost in three, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 clinching the win for the Golden Bears.
The match was called when Cal took a 4-1 lead. Moreno de Alboran was down 4-1 in the third set when it was called while No. 51 Guillin was tied at 4-4 in his match at the number two court.
Even with the loss, UCSB has had some key wins over Pac-12 opponents and has shown that this is a team capable of winning an NCAA Tournament match.
However, the only thing that matters now is Santa Barbara winning its fifth-straight conference title to even have the opportunity to appear in an NCAA Tournament match.
UCSB will take on UC Irvine at 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 13 at UCI Campus Recreation.
No. 46 Cal (11-9) defeated UC Santa Barbara (10-6), 4-1
April 8, 2019, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. Nicolas Moreno de Alboran/Anders Holm (UCSB) def. No. 17 Jacob Brumm/Yuta Kikuchi (Cal), 6-3
2. Paul Barretto/Can Kaya (Cal) def. Joseph Guillin/Victor Krustev (UCSB), 6-3
3. Jack Molloy/Mert Zincirli (Cal) def. Joseph Rotheram/Alex Soto (UCSB), 6-3*
Cal won the doubles point
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Yuta Kikuchi (Cal) vs. No. 16 Nicolas Moreno de Alboran (UCSB), 2-6, 7-6(2), 4-1 DNF
2. Jack Molloy (Cal) vs. No. 51 Joseph Guillin (UCSB), 6-3, 3-6, 4-4 Unfinished
3. Paul Barretto (Cal) def. No. 100 Victor Krustev (UCSB), 6-3, 6-3
4. Ben Draper (Cal) def. Hironori Koyanagi (UCSB), 6-2, 6-4
5. Bjorn Hoffmann (Cal) def. Joseph Rotheram (UCSB), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2^
6. Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Mert Zincirli (Cal), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 3, 5^
^Clinched the overall match